Re: [Savannah-hackers] Not responding to lsh

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Not responding to lsh
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 18:32:35 +0200

Richard Stallman writes:
 > Since you said things were fixed on the server side, I investigated
 > further, and discovered that the problem was because CVS had created
 > the directories incorrectly on my machine.  They had mode 000 and were
 > perhaps missing some of the files CVS expected them to contain.
 >
 > I think this is a CVS bug; it must have set up that directory wrong
 > as a consequence of the problem on the server.

        I never faced a similar problem myself. It may be interesting
to try to reproduce it. A possible scenario is the following:

        directory with mode 000 on the server
        cvs update on the local machine
        cvs change the mode of the local directory to 000
        cvs update cannot access the directory anymore

        I can't see any other possibility. Checking the cvs sources, when a
directory is created on the local machine it is always created with
mode flag set to 0777.

        I tried this scenario, unfortunately the problem does not
show.  The cvs client shows a happy permission denied. Restoring the
directory permissions on the server does not trigger the problem either,
the cvs client is happy that the old conditions were restored.

 > I think that CVS, if it can't really access the directory in the
 > repository, should at least create the local directory in some
 > consistent fashion (or not create it at all).  Can you pass the word
 > to the CVS developers?

        At this point the only thing I could do is send them a note to
describe what happened on your machine and asking them if they think
that cvs can do such a thing. I'd like to send them a proper and
reproductible bug report instead. Can you tell me what cvs version
you're using ?  cvs -v output will do.

        Cheers,