[Savannah-hackers] Re: subversions 443 port cvs server hosed?

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: subversions 443 port cvs server hosed?
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 14:20:29 +0100

Miles Bader writes:
 > Well, I never any replies to my earlier message, but now the symptoms
 > have changed -- though I still can't do a cvs update.

        I'm glad you write back. I did not notify you when I started
working on this issue last week because I forgot who was in need of the
443 port hack.

 > Is somebody fucking around with subversions?  Does anyone know what's
 > going on?

        I do. I know you're running out of patience. If you feel you can
fix the problem on subversions, let me know and I'll grant you the proper
permissions. Don't take me wrong : I'm not saying that you *have to fix*
the problem yourself. However, I've been frustrated too often by not being
able to fix a problem and forced to wait for someone to fix it for me. And
sometime being able to fix the problem is less furstrating than having to
wait. Anyway we all are victims of the same tradeoff : wait for things to
be done or do them ourselves ;-)

        Back to the real problem. I did a mistake that triggered the
"setgid failed" error you noticed. It is now fixed and should work:

bash-2.05a$ cvs -d :pserver:address@hidden:443/cvs login
Logging in to :pserver:address@hidden:443/cvs
CVS password: ******

bash-2.05a$ cvs -d :pserver:address@hidden:443/cvs co emacs
setgid failed: Operation not permitted
bash-2.05a$ cvs -d :pserver:address@hidden:443/cvs co emacs
U emacs/.cvsignore
U emacs/AUTHORS
U emacs/BUGS
U emacs/COPYING
cvs [checkout aborted]: received interrupt signal
bash-2.05a$

        For future reference you will find instructions at
http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group_id=40

        Also note that the /cvs CVSROOT is now obsolete. It still works
but it will remind you once a day that you should switch to /cvsroot/emacs.
In order for this migration to be painless for you I need to know the
following:

        - do you have a Kerberos account on GNU.ORG ?
        - if yes, do you remember the password ?
        - if you do, can you try using gserver instead of pserver ?
          (just s/pserver/gserver/, nothing else need to be changed)

        Thanks for your patience, your help and your work for emacs.

        Cheers,