[Savannah-hackers] Re: subversions 443 port cvs server hosed?

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: subversions 443 port cvs server hosed?
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 18:53:00 +0100

Miles Bader writes:

 > Thank you very much for working on it.
 > I'll try it tomorrow when I'm at work (behind the evil firewall).

        You can very well try that from somewhere else by doing

        cvs -d :pserver:address@hidden:443/cvs co emacs

        That's what I use for testing.

 > I don't know; I've tried to get one in the past, but eventually gave up
 > because it was too hard to get information out of anyone.

        Ok. Then let's assume you don't have a kerberos account.

        To summarize, you can use CVS/SSH from home, but only
:pserver:443 from work.  If this is correct I think the best solution
for you would be to do the following:

        From home (only need to do it once)

        export CVS_RSH=ssh
        cvs -d address@hidden:/cvsroot/emacs co CVSROOT

        cd CVSROOT
        echo 'miles:Fi71cG7G.6caA' >> passwd
        cvs commit -m 'Added miles

        From work (but can be tested from home)

        cvs -d :pserver:address@hidden:443/cvsroot/emacs co emacs

        The trick is that :pserver: access is not *disabled* on /cvsroot/emacs
(since it's needed for anoncvs). However, for security reasons (pserver
passwords are losely encrypted) authentication goes thru ssh and public keys
and people are encouraged to do it this way. In your specific case (rare)
you can activate the :pserver: account for the user miles and manage it
yourself, by hand. This is one of the advantages of having a separate
CVSROOT for each project. You don't risk to step on the toes of other
developers because the CVSROOT/passwd file you are going to modify is only
used by the emacs project.

        I hope the explanations are clear enough. In order to optimize
the round trip time to test the solution, I suggest you do some tests from
home where you can use ssh, :pserver: and the 443 port hack. It may be the
case that actually going thru the firewall at work introduces some problems.
But if you were able to test it at home, you already know which parts are
supposed to work properly and that will make the whole thing easier to debug
and fix.

        Cheers,