ac-archive-maintainers

Re: More on CVS layout

From: Tom Howard
Subject: Re: More on CVS layout
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:15:30 +1100

Hi Peter,

>>>My suggestion, if nothing better comes up, is to put the m4
>>>files  _flat_ into a single directory, for example:
>>>
>>>  m4src/ax_foo.m4
>>>        ax_other_foo.m4
>>>        ax_java_bar_foo.m4
>>>
>>>This way, there is no chance we'll ever have to move a file
>>>to stay consistent. Furthermore, you can use the checked-out
>>>repository with aclocal(1) without any modifications or
>>>installation process. In the release archive, it is this way
>>>already.
>>>
>>>What other ideas are there? Anyone?
>

> Flat makes most sense to me as well, but it would require a migration
> step, where everything is moved from their directories.  Can we put it
> down as a to-do item?  Leaving it as it allows me to create a build
> system very quickly.  Until the CVSROOT/modules is updated, you can test
> it yourself by running
>
> cvs co ac-archive
> cvs co ac-archive-build
> cd ac-archive-build
> ln -s ../ac-archive/legacy m4-src
> ln -s ../ac-archive/COPYING .
> ln -s ../ac-archive/README .
> ./boostrap
> ./configure
> make
> make install
>
> Ideally the make step will build the docs, but I'll work on that as soon
> as the licence changes are done.
>
> Also having it flat doesn't make a huge diff, as you still need to tell
> aclocal where to find that flat dir (as opposed to telling where to find
> N directories).  Currently, make install will keep the dir structure,
> but making it flat is a one liner (remove nobase_) in the Makefile.am

Well, the CVSROOT/modules got updated yesterday, but when I updated
everything all the files had moved to ac-archive/m4src.  This means that
the revision information for at the macros is now separated from the
current files.  The build stuff I was working on is broken.  Guidod's
syncing is probably broken.  Anyone who has code that automatically
grabs the macros from cvs for their projects will have broken code.  And
finally the licence changes I have been doing now need to be copied in
to the new structure and since you've made other changes to the files
(versions are now dates) I can't simply copy the files in to their new
location (I need to edit them manually).

If you had simply told me you were going to do this, I could have at
least have said "please wait a until I commit my licence changes", which
would have saved me heaps of work, I could have also warned you about
the affects of such a move and suggested an alternative.

Cheers,

- --
Tom Howard

Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x433B299A