autoconf-archive-maintainers

Re: serial lines

From: Peter Simons
Subject: Re: serial lines
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 17:11:28 +0100

Hi Dustin,

 > Let's get the serials in there, and see what the problems are first.

that has been done before. The Archive distributed macros with a supposedly
up-to-date version number for 5+ years. The experience clearly showed that
manual bumping is tedious, to say the least, and it didn't work very well in
practice. Those version numbers were frequently inaccurate. I am not eager
to try that again.

In my humble opinion, serial numbers ought to be generated automatically.
Manual maintenance doesn't scale to a project of this size.

Take care,
Peter