Re: problem to use autoconf/automake

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: problem to use autoconf/automake
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 10:13:19 +0200

* Nicolas Haller wrote on Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 10:00:50AM CEST:
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 07:48:57AM +0200, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> > Well, put
> >   SUBDIRS = whatever_dirs_live_under_src
> > into src/  Don't forget to mention all to-be-generated
> > Makefiles in the AC_CONFIG_FILES macro in
> > > I had only .cc and .hh files, and no program or
> > > librairies to make, so I don't know what to write into So
> > > what can I do if I want to have makefile in all subdirectories?
> > Above should make it all clear.  Otherwise, please be more specific.
> It's clear, I put SUBDIRS line in my src/ and modify
> but, it doesn't work. When I launch automake, he said he
> has not found file src/interface/ (this message for all
> subdirs of src/).

What?  automake looks for .am files, not .in files.  configure (to be
more precise: config.status) looks for .in files.

> If I understand, are generated with informations enclosed in
> But I have no in subdirs of src/. I have only
> sources files (.hh and .cc), and nothing to do with these (but object
> file to build the program define in src/

Well, if you don't need any more files in subdirectories of
src/, then don't specify SUBDIRS.  Please read
  info Automake Subdirectories

> So, what can I do, can I create empty in all subdirs of src/
> or must I do anything else?

Either that, or just don't mention the directories in SUBDIRS.
I don't know why you wanted them there in the first place(?).