Re: delete aclocal.m4? keep generated files on cvs server? enforce spece

From: Simon Richter
Subject: Re: delete aclocal.m4? keep generated files on cvs server? enforce specefic automake/conf version?
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 23:02:58 +0200

Hi,

> Should I include aclocal.m4 in MAINTAINERCLEANFILES, and regenerate it
> every time i regenerate the built files? (runs autogen.sh)

Usually I don't care about that file. It will be regenerated every time
someone calls aclocal, so there is no need to clean it out.

> Is it advisable to keep the generated configure and friends on the cvs
> server, or should I run make maintainer-clean before I commit/import?

That depends on your taste. Personally, I don't put them in CVS, since
everyone who uses CVS should know what they are doing and that they are
supposed to run autogen.sh, and it clutters up the diffs and generates
needless conflicts.

Usually I use an autogen.sh like this, works on most systems:

#! /bin/sh -ex
aclocal-1.7 -I m4 || aclocal-1.6 -I m4 || aclocal -I m4
autoheader
automake-1.7 -a || automake-1.6 -a || automake -a
autoconf

As you probably have found out, setting the x bit before the cvs add
will make cvs set the x bit on every checked out version too, which
makes it easier for everyone.

> And last, but not least. ;) How is the proper way to enforce specific
> automake/autoconf versions in the autogen.sh script?

AC_PREREQ() for autoconf and
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE() for automake. The docs tell you more about this. :-)

HTH,
   Simon

--
GPG Fingerprint: 040E B5F7 84F1 4FBC CEAD  ADC6 18A0 CC8D 5706 A4B4