Re: [avr-chat] Un-tar-ing a file in Windows

From: TODD BATZLER
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Un-tar-ing a file in Windows
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 10:00:59 -0500

Todd Batzler
Senior Staff Engineer
Miller Electric Mfg Co
1635 W Spencer St
Appleton, WI 54914-0000 USA

Phone:  920 735 4230
Fax:  920 735-4488
email:  address@hidden

>>> David Kelly <address@hidden> 05/18/05 8:52 PM >>>
On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 08:48:05AM -0500, TODD BATZLER wrote:

> Saw Brian Dean's post on avrdude and I'm a long way from being able to
> help, but my first step is to figure out how to 'un-tar' a file under
> Windows XP.  I can de-compress it to the base .tar file.  Can someone
> point me in the right direction to get the rest of the way.

Maybe I missed someone else saying this but am surprised at how
difficult all the other replies were making the task.

WinAVR comes with tar and gzip. Just open a command box, cd to your
directory, and "tar -xvzf archivename.tar.gz"

I can't imagine a Windows user being interested in avrdude and not
having already installed WinAVR.  :-)

--
David Kelly N4HHE, address@hidden

David,
By golly if that didn't work.  Thanks.

I've been using WinAVR since it's come out and completely spaced on the fact
that there was a 'utilities'
directory.  Being only a native Windows user and not familiar with other OS's
(sorry guys) when I read the
WinAVR manual and it refers to "Many native Win32 GNU programs and utilities
including make and bash. " in the
latest WinAVR version Manifest.   I didn't make the connection that any
"Unix-like" utilities would have been
included.  TkInfo doesnt' mention anything about the utilities either.  It's
easy to say and I'm certainly not
being critical of Mr. Weddington's work on the WinAVR user's manual but it
would be nice to flesh out that
area of the manual for the benefit of those of us not familiar with the Unix
system and it's utilities by someone
intimately familiar with what's there and what they're for.  (Like, what's
'bash'?)

Thanks for all the replies on this subject.  Never thought I'd create this much
discussion.

This message may contain privileged and/or
confidential information.  If you have received
this e-mail in error or are not the intended
recipient, you may not use, copy, disseminate
or distribute it; do not open any attachments,
delete it immediately from your system and notify
the sender promptly by e-mail that you have done so.
Thank you.
<<<< Disclaimer>>>>