Re: OT: Soldering SMDs (was Re: [avr-chat] isp-usb)

From: Erik Christiansen
Subject: Re: OT: Soldering SMDs (was Re: [avr-chat] isp-usb)
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 15:27:05 +1100

On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 08:45:34PM -0500, Graham Davies wrote:
> Here's an even quicker way to deal with SMT components (quicker than the
> pre-tin one end, flux, etc. method).  Buy a syringe of solder paste

OK, have my solder paste now. And you're right, it's just the thing for
the little ones!

> Of course, you can go the whole hog and use a toaster oven.  I have a
> modified toaster oven that I use for small batch assembly with a proper
> laser-cut stencil.

Many thanks for that idea, Graham. I hadn't heard if it. A little
googling provided a wealth of detail.

One day I must try the upturned (clothes) iron method, where the PCB is
slid onto the hot iron, and off again when the solder has reflowed,
after a few seconds. It's only going to work for the one side, I guess,
but so far I've only put a few componenets on the back. They could be
hand soldered afterwards. (And now, more easily. :-)

I like the idea of most of the heat reaching the solder before the
chips.

Erik