Re: [avr-chat] AVR and Hardware For Reading Automotive On-Board Diagnost

From: Daniel O'Connor
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] AVR and Hardware For Reading Automotive On-Board Diagnostics Connector?
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 13:34:14 +1030

On Thursday 05 March 2009 12:45:47 Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> As for the OBD plugs/connectors themsleves, IIRC they are not available
> anymore, or at least you would have to be very lucky or motivated to
> find some. I sure would love one, would be much more practical and
> elegant than stuffing leads by hand into the car's socket !

There are a few connectors listed under obd in places like mouser, dunno if
they are what you need though..

> Ah, in case you didn't mean OBD, but OBD-II, then that's another story
> altogether, I have no idea how complicated the OBD-II protocol is
> compared to OBD. Maybe one day if I win the lottery, I will get a Lotus
> Esprit V8, these are more modern than the 4 pot, they feature OBD-II
> not OBD. So I am sure I would want to redesign my ECU device to talk
> OBD-II ! ;-)

Oops I was thinking of OBD-II when I answered Robert's email.

BTW my Toyota Echo has OBD-II - it's the cheapest car they sell :)

(Although I'm in Australia)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum