Re: [avr-chat] AVR and Hardware For Reading Automotive On-Board Diagnost

From: Vincent Trouilliez
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] AVR and Hardware For Reading Automotive On-Board Diagnostics Connector?
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 06:19:36 +0100

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 21:50:17 -0500
"Graham Davies" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Is the OBD connector the same as OBD II?  I have ODB II connectors.  I could
> have sent one with your AVR Dragon!

Nope they are different. The OBD seems to be trapezoidal in shape, with
16 terminals. The old OBD was rectangular, with a notch in the middle
of one of the sides, on the exterior of it, and it had two rows of 5
terminals. However I wasted 30 minutes in vain, trying to find a good
picture of it on internet. Zillions of OBD-II pages, and the rare "OBD"
matches turned out to be OBD-II anyway.. people apparently use "OBD" to
mean OBD-II, doesn't help.

> My cousin had a Lotus Esprit, but that was a long time ago.

Oh ! :-) What a small world... it's pretty rare to come accross someone
who knows of their existence. It's even rarer when it's an american
who manages to spell it correctly (well done Graham ! ;-), most
american people somehow insist on spelling it "Espirit", for god knows
what reason. May it's a word that means something in the American
language, dunno... or maybe it's sometihng to do with the "E" economy,
"E" this, "E" that, maybe they think it means E-spirit or
something ! ;-) Trying hard to find an explanation !

--
Vince