Re: [Uisp-dev] Re: [avr-gcc-list] jtagice and stk500 protocol docs

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [Uisp-dev] Re: [avr-gcc-list] jtagice and stk500 protocol docs
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 11:38:23 -0700 (PDT)

Just to clarify:

The proprietary stuff is the jtag debugging protocol implemented within
the silicon of the AVR devices. This is what you guys propose to reverse
engineer and is the interface from the jtagice to the device.

The jtagice document I noted is as you say below. It's still good to have
that information available as it makes having a jtagice target in gdb
possible (and a future project for me ;-). It also makes the jtagice box a
more viable tool for the open source community.

If you guys can successfully rev-eng the lower level interface, there may
still need to be a piece of hardware sitting between gdb and the device
which could be similar to the atmel jtagice box, but completely open and
compatible, possibly even using the same avrstudio <-> jtagice protocol.

We still need to rev-eng the prorietary protocol though. This would help
send a message to Atmel that it was a dumb idea in the first place. I
don't think it will hurt Atmel for the info to be released. It would only
make us happier to use their parts, thus increasing market share for them.
What's the fricken' point of supplying a proprietary debugging tool
anyways? I really can't imagine Atmel making much money from the jtagice
boxes (didn't they just reduce the price?) compared with the revenue from
all the devices they sell.

Sorry for the rant. ;-)

Ted Roth