[Axiom-developer] axiom porting

From: daly
Subject: [Axiom-developer] axiom porting
Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 11:53:20 -0500

Camm, Bill,

Great job. I've bought the book "Practical Programming in Tcl and TK"
and am about 1/2 way thru it. It appears that Tcl is similar to lisp
in that every line starts with a command and returns a value. It also
appears that it is possible to link C code to Tcl/TK which might be
a short term path to getting the graphics working. Tcl/TK also has a
browser plugin so it might be possible to meet Bill's goal of getting
the whole pile integrated in a browser.

In light of your work and my reading I'm stepping away from the Java
development path for the moment and restarting the TK path.

I need to also recover the windows build procedure and try to get
that working so I can bring windows up to date. Since this work is
supposed to be cross-platform it might help if I actually used both
platforms. I see the purchase of a windows box in my future.

I'm still in the midst of the freebsd merge and the month-end push to
publish so about all I'm doing is reading during compiles. The freebsd
working version will probably have to wait until gcl-2.6.7 because the
magic-loading code does not seem to be useful under 2.6.6 but it's
close. I plan to set up freebsd on one of my local machines.