Re: [Axiom-developer] GCL-2.6.8pre unable to make new image

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] GCL-2.6.8pre unable to make new image
Date: 30 Aug 2006 03:19:47 -0500

"Page, Bill" <address@hidden> writes:

| Gaby,
|
| On Tuesday, August 29, 2006 5:27 PM you wrote:
| >
| >   GCL-2.6.9pre, checkout of cvs as of this morning, has problems
| > making new lisp image.  More precisely, the instruction
| >
| >      % echo '(compiler::link nil "foo")' | gcl
| >
| > has GCL die with the message
| >
| > [...]
| >
| > Error: Cannot open the file
| > /home/gdr/lib/gcl-2.6.8/unixport/../xgcl-2/sysdef.lisp.
|
| I am not sure if this is the right track or not, but this error
| does not occur if you build gcl with '--enable-ansi'. I believe
| that this option is used on the Axiom Debian build which uses
| a pre-installed gcl.

--disable-xgcl also fixes it -- that way, compiler::link does not get
the idea of looking for system definition for xgcl.

| However after 'svn update' of the build_improvements branch,
| my attempt to build Axiom using a pre-installed gcl built with
| --enable-ansi fails with:

| Finished loading
| /home/page/axiom.build-improvements/obj/linux/interp/setq.lsp
| Error in CONDITIONS::CLCS-LOAD [or a callee]: Cannot open the file
| /home/page/axiom.build-improvements/obj/linux/interp/astr.o.
|
| Fast links are on: do (use-fast-links nil) for debugging
| Broken at BUILD-INTERPSYS.  Type :H for Help.

I think I know the reason for this.  As I reproduced it yesterday but
did not get enough time to fix it -- and I spent my whole evening
chasing and fixing a stupid, mysterious kernel panic after a crash.

The above problem seems to come from the fact that astr.clisp needs
the boot compiler which was not built yet (or not found).  But the
build continued instead of failing. Later LISP found that the object
file astr.o was missing.  I think I fixed it.  I just need to find the
right "experimental directory" that has it :-( Sorry for that.

-- Gaby