[Axiom-developer] RE: [build Axiom] updated Windows build instructions

From: Page, Bill
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: [build Axiom] updated Windows build instructions
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 06:45:24 -0400

On Wednesday, September 20, 2006 6:13 AM you wrote:
> Maybe one day we will be using bazaar-ng since that seems to
> be actively maintained by the ubuntu people.

Ok on Linux... but Windows?

> Have you ever tried
> svn co -r1 trunk
> cd trunk
> svn update
> on Windows?

Yes. Unfortunately it fails with the same error message as on

svn: REPORT request failed on '/svnroot/axiom/!svn/vcc/default'
svn: REPORT of '/svnroot/axiom/!svn/vcc/default': Could not read
response body:
Secure connection truncated (

> Document on AxiomSources. That should be the place to read about
> our source mess. ;-) If you bring axiom--windows--1 in sync with
> the tla archive, then I add the stuff to AxiomSources. I guess,
> you volunteer to be the maintainer of that branch. I haven't
> heard from Mike Thomas or Tim (who are currently the maintainers
> of the tla axiom--windows--1). Can I make you the maintainer of
> the darcs and tla versions?

Ok. :-(

> > If someone can prove that SVN actually does work reliably on
> > Windows, then maybe that would be the best option?
> Probably, then axiom--windows--1 would exist as a branch on
> sourceforge. But to be honest, I would rather try to avoid that
> and better ask for help from developers knowledgeable in Windows
> to actually do the merge now.

Merging is awkward so long as we use too different archive systems.
It means the merge has to be done on a combination of different

Maybe moving the SVN archive to will help.

I am still tempted to look for solutions outside of all of the
archive systems we have tries so far. The more I read about
Mercurial the more I like it...

Bill Page.