Re: [Axiom-developer] gclweb.lisp

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] gclweb.lisp
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 18:38:30 +0200

I know that you want to do everything in LISP, but there are
LaTeX-only solutions already around.

http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~gurari/tpf/html/LitProg.html

I'm sure there are a variety of solutions available, and in theory any
system capable of supporting the syntax we use can be applied.  Doing
it in lisp will (hopefully) allow deep integration of pamphlet handling
into Axiom.

I haven't evaluated how good that is and whether is as powerful as noweb. I also don't like the syntax and output, but it would be a way
to avoid LISP. ;-)

You are suggesting having both the latex processing and the tangle
operation performed by TeX code?  Eeek.

Hmm, the whole LaTeX3 project uses that approach. But I would say, the tangle (docstrip) is quite weak.

Actually removing the dependency on LaTeX is not theoretically
impossible and is a direction I find interesting.

OK, so why does nobody think of TeXmacs? That is a Wysiwyg-editor written in Scheme (as far as I know). One can already embed interactive code. Despite all dislikings ... isn't TeXmacs quite appropriate not only as an interface to Axiom but also as the way do write literate programs for Axiom? I don't know why I am suggesting this, I am not even using TeXmacs and always run into problems with it, but in some way I feel that it would be an appropriate tool for the pamphlets.

There is just one problem. As far as I can tell, there is no support for literate programs in TeXmacs. But isn't Lisp similar to Scheme and aren't you just writing a clweb?

Unfortunately, I cannot look into it since I LISP is not the language that I speak very fluently.

Is there someone who is interested and can look into evaluating TeXmacs for Axiom? Maybe we should ask someone on the TeXmacs list to give us some motivation to follow this direction.

Ralf