bibledit-general

[be] Re: Bibledit on Eee-- progress at last!

From: Teus Benschop
Subject: [be] Re: Bibledit on Eee-- progress at last!
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 18:42:50 +0200

Hi Kim,

Congratulations on getting the thing to work on the Eee PC!

I've updated the instructions with the missing libxul-dev, and yes, as you say, it it not so obvious what library to install from the missing file...

Good to hear too that be does not get bigger and bigger as it used to do in the past. Indeed some attempt had been made to fix that behaviour a and get it to behave a bit better.

The critical errors that you describe can occur when running "bibledit-bin", but most likely will go away when running "bibledit" instead. The script "bibledit" is the standard way to start it, and actually the only correct way. "bibledit-bin" is only helpful in cases it does not behave. If running "bibledit", then any errors are visible within Bibledit, through menu Help / System log.

Success with your work!

Teus.

Kim Blewett wrote:
Thanks for answering so quickly, Teus! Hey, it worked! So I guess that line should be added to the instructions, along with git-core and libenchant-dev.

It doesn't look as if there's a way to predict, from the name of the missing file, what the name of the library should be, right?

Anyway, now I've loaded our Rapoisi Scripture project and its V-E into BE and things are looking good. I've been looking at the Keyterms list a bit; I like the way it works.

I notice that now the screen jumps a few lines taller, so the Titlebar is hidden off the top, but it doesn't seem to jump wider as the previous version was doing. This is good! Gives you a bit more working space. The Eee has a mouse feature to help drag the window around (alt+click & drag), so you can get the Titlebar back if you need it. I don't think I could do this on the OLPC, however (I have BE on an OLPC under eeeXubuntu running from an SD card, but not yet on Sugar: I tried to install BE on a "joyride" non-stable Sugar OS but couldn't do it). I'll let you know when I learn more

However, even though it seems to be working correctly, when I run "bibledit-bin" I still get a few CRITICAL errors:

    ** (bibledit-bin:2082): CRITICAL **: Sending: connect error
This line appeared in Terminal as BE was opening.

After I closed BE down I looked at the terminal again and saw three more errors, so the whole thing looked like this:
/home/user> bibledit-bin

** (bibledit-bin:2082): CRITICAL **: Sending: connect error

** (bibledit-bin:2082): CRITICAL **: Failed to open file '/home/user/.bibledit.bin.socket': No such device or address

** (bibledit-bin:2082): CRITICAL **: Sending: connect error

** (bibledit-bin:2082): CRITICAL **: Sending: connect error
/home/user>
That's all for now, I guess. I'll send more details and ask more questions soon, I hope.

Blessings, Kim