bino-list

Re: [Bino-list] Framerate issue on OSX 10.6

From: Martin Lambers
Subject: Re: [Bino-list] Framerate issue on OSX 10.6
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 11:46:59 +0200

Hello David!

On 17/05/11 10:54, David Coiffier wrote:
> I'm running latest version of OSX 10.6 on a new macpro, and I have a
> little issue with bino when trying to play quicktime H264 files.
> Everything is ok, except framerate, that seems to be not capped at the
> correct framerate, but instead plays the fastest possible. The strange
> thing is that some H264 will run ok, and some at fastest speed...
> Is this something that someone experienced, or is aware of ?

I never had this problem. Bino uses FFmpeg to read all multimedia input,
so we first have to find out if this is a problem in Bino or in FFmpeg.

Can you try the ffplay video player that comes with FFmpeg?

Can you provide small sample files (one that works, one that does not)?
That would allow us to either debug this on our own or report a bug to
the FFmpeg project.

> I've also tried to open my native work files, that are Apple ProRes
> quicktimes, but codec is unsupported. Does supporting such codec would
> represent a great amount of work, or is this something that could be
> easily implemented in a future release ?

Apple does not document this codec. Therefore, reverse-engineering is
necessary to support it in FFmpeg. This is a lot of work, and as far as
I know there is currently a lack of manpower and/or money to do this.

Best regards,
Martin