bino-list

Re: [Bino-list] Framerate issue on OSX 10.6

From: David Coiffier
Subject: Re: [Bino-list] Framerate issue on OSX 10.6
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 19:08:28 +0200

On 17/05/11 10:54, David Coiffier wrote:
I'm running latest version of OSX 10.6 on a new macpro, and I have a
little issue with bino when trying to play quicktime H264 files.
Everything is ok, except framerate, that seems to be not capped at the correct framerate, but instead plays the fastest possible. The strange
thing is that some H264 will run ok, and some at fastest speed...
Is this something that someone experienced, or is aware of ?

I never had this problem. Bino uses FFmpeg to read all multimedia input, so we first have to find out if this is a problem in Bino or in FFmpeg.

Can you try the ffplay video player that comes with FFmpeg?

Martin,

Thank you for your kind reply. I'd love to try ffplay, but I'm such a prick I don't even know where to find it , and how to use it. I'm just a regular director, and double clicking an application to open it is somehow a limit for me. I have no problem to open terminal and type some commands, but I need to be guided, sorry.

Can you provide small sample files (one that works, one that does not)?
That would allow us to either debug this on our own or report a bug to
the FFmpeg project.

Actually, the movie file I was referring to (http://vimeo.com/ 23766822) exhibits the framerate issue. It is downloadable at Vimeo, when logged with a free account. There's a link on the right side, under the text description. Given the size, I guess I'd better provide a single shot rather than full edit. I'll try to do this asap, except if you're ok to dl such a big thing from Vimeo...

I've also tried to open my native work files, that are Apple ProRes
quicktimes, but codec is unsupported. Does supporting such codec would
represent a great amount of work, or is this something that could be
easily implemented in a future release ?

Apple does not document this codec. Therefore, reverse-engineering is
necessary to support it in FFmpeg. This is a lot of work, and as far as
I know there is currently a lack of manpower and/or money to do this.

OK, I understand this. I've also read Fred reply about it. Just forget my question!
Apple does great things, but they manage to suck at the same time...
DNxHD codec is only suitable when running Avid editing system, so it can't be a solution to me at that point, but it's worth noting that it is open source!

Thanks again to both of you,

David