bongo-devel

Re: [bongo-devel] Re: Stream metadata

From: Daniel Brockman
Subject: Re: [bongo-devel] Re: Stream metadata
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 18:45:49 +0200

address@hidden (Daniel Jensen) writes:

> Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> What about something as simple as `bongo-use-stream-metadata'?
>>
>> If that is nil, then we don't do anything with the metadata
>> and users can do exactly what they want using the hooks.
>
> It would be strange if Bongo used metadata when that
> variable is nil, even when it's only through user functions.

True.

> And I think a user might want to be able to turn off the
> user code with this variable.

We could have a variable for turning on or off the whole
system of features related to stream metadata.  Do you think
it it good to call it `bongo-use-stream-metadata'?

> It needs to be more customizable than this, in my opinion.
> At least the buffer-changing feature should be customizable.

Okay.

We could have a toggle variable for the feature that puts
stream metadata in the player infoset.

The tooltip could also have a toggle, of course.

As for the buffer-changing feature, I would like to consider
the possibility of putting the title of the currently playing
track (N.B., not `track' in the Bongo sense) into the buffer.

The player infoset can look like this:

      `((album (title . ,(or track-title stream-title)))
        (track (title . ,stream-currently-playing)))

What if `stream-currently-playing' could end up in the track
infoset too?

So maybe both the string in the track infoset and the one
in the player infoset should be customizable in detail.

   (defcustom bongo-stream-track-title-player-format
     '(bongo-stream-title
       (when bongo-stream-currently-playing
         '(bongo-field-separator bongo-stream-currently-playing)))

   (defcustom bongo-stream-track-title-buffer-format
     'bongo-stream-track-title-player-format)

About those names...  They certainly are a mouthful.
Here's how I parse them:

   bongo (((stream track) title) (player format))

I guess we could drop the word `track', yielding
`bongo-stream-title-player-format'.

We could also rearrange the words a bit, yielding
`bongo-player-stream-title-format'.

   (defcustom bongo-player-stream-title-format
     '(bongo-stream-title
       (when bongo-stream-currently-playing
         '(bongo-field-separator bongo-stream-currently-playing)))

   (defcustom bongo-buffer-stream-title-format
     'bongo-player-stream-title-format)

Okay, now I'm just thinking out loud.  I have to go, but I
might as well post this message.  Maybe you have comments.

--
Daniel Brockman <address@hidden>