bongo-devel

[bongo-devel] Re: Stream metadata

From: Daniel Jensen
Subject: [bongo-devel] Re: Stream metadata
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 13:58:07 +0200

Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> writes:

> We could have a variable for turning on or off the whole
> system of features related to stream metadata.  Do you think
> it it good to call it `bongo-use-stream-metadata'?

That is not a bad name.

> We could have a toggle variable for the feature that puts
> stream metadata in the player infoset.

Fine, but this one I think is more "core" than the others. It is also
not obviously visible to the user.

> As for the buffer-changing feature, I would like to consider
> the possibility of putting the title of the currently playing
> track (N.B., not `track' in the Bongo sense) into the buffer.

Yeah, I like that.

You may very well be on the right track with the customization options
for the infosets. I want to comment on those names, though:

>    (defcustom bongo-player-stream-title-format
>      '(bongo-stream-title
>        (when bongo-stream-currently-playing
>          '(bongo-field-separator bongo-stream-currently-playing)))
>
>    (defcustom bongo-buffer-stream-title-format
>       'bongo-player-stream-title-format)

I think we really need to figure out good names for the metadata from
a stream. I'm not happy with "title", because it is in use for tracks.
It requires extra brain cycles to separate them.

How about stream name to replace stream title?

Stream "currently playing" is a little better, but it's a bit long and
not really English. Maybe use stream song here? It's not good either,
I know. Do you have suggestions?