bongo-devel

Re: [bongo-devel] Re: Stream metadata

From: Daniel Brockman
Subject: Re: [bongo-devel] Re: Stream metadata
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 20:13:47 +0200

address@hidden (Daniel Jensen) writes:

> Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> address@hidden (Daniel Jensen) writes:
>>
>>> Stream "currently playing" is a little better, but it's a
>>> bit long and not really English. Maybe use stream song here?
>>> It's not good either, I know. Do you have suggestions?
>>
>> How about `current-stream-part'?
>
> I don't know, "part" sounds kind of alien.

I think `current-stream-part' is confusing because it sounds
like it would contain something other than a string (a `part').

> I'm liking "song", because it's very clear what it means.
> But if a stream does not have usual songs, it's not so good.
> In that case, part is better.

The reason I don't like `song' is that it implies singing.

Here are my new suggestions:

  - `stream-genre'
  - `stream-title'
  - `stream-part-title'

With these, we've pretty much gone full circle, but I think
they actually clarify each other in this combination. :-)
The similar labels for `stream-title' and `stream-part-title'
puts focus on the difference and forces it to become apparent.

I don't think `stream-title' is bad.  We have `album-title'
and `track-title', so `stream-title' is the natural choice.
(If `stream-name', why not `album-name' or `track-name'?)

> I looked at EMMS. It appears like EMMS uses "song title",
> so maybe we should use song to be consistent here.

Well, EMMS isn't even consistent in spelling its own name. :-)

> Song is also used in the book "Practical Common Lisp", which
> includes a chapter[1] with a Shoutcast server implementation.

I think I've read that chapter, a long time ago.

> I know this is not that relevant, but I wanted to advocate
> "song" some more.

It seems a little inconsistent to use `song' to describe
parts of streams, but not to describe files on disk, since
they are arguably equally deserving of the label.

> Also, it is a cool book!

Thanks.  I should read it.  I want to understand Common Lisp.

--
Daniel Brockman <address@hidden>