classpathx-xml

[Classpathx-xml] Proposal for the ISO character entity bug in gnujaxp

From: Arnaud Vandyck
Subject: [Classpathx-xml] Proposal for the ISO character entity bug in gnujaxp
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 11:09:22 +0200 (CEST)

Hi everybody, hi Nic,

Looking at you problem with your xml fragment
<http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/classpathx-xml/2002-May/000125.html>, I
did some tests to find where is the bug.

First, I created a test class to show the nodes of a document with
DOM. I also did an xml file near yours and I saw you were working with
DocBook for xml (SimpleDocbook if I recall). I did some tests and
found that the problem was when parsing the ISO character entity of
Docbook (for example: <!ENTITY euro "&#x20AC;">).

I did change the call of the readLiteral(int) method in the
parseEntityDecl() method in the gnu.xml.aelfred2.XmlParser class.

This call is to get the value of an entity if I did understant the
code correctly. But it passes the value '0'. I did change it to value
LIT_DISABLE_CREF (this is an integer, the value is 16). Looking in
other methods, I saw the developers use an 'int flags=LIT_DISABLE_...'
line. I did the same in the parseEntityDecl() method.

I do not know if this will not cause any other problems and I suggest
everyone who can to look at the patch before committing the
changes... maybe someone can forward this mail to one of the author or
both (David Megginson <address@hidden>, David Brownell
<address@hidden>) to be sure the patch is correct.

Please boys, be indulgent for my first patch ever! :-) If I gave to
many descriptions (too verboze?), if the patch format is not good, if
there is a problem, let me know. If my english is not very good, well,
don't let me know, I already do :-)

These commands patch the good file:

# cd jaxp_root
# patch -p1 < ../jaxp-char-entities-patch-20021012.diff

This is also the first time I use the diff and patch commands!

I hope this helps, have a nice day/night :-)

PS: I also attached a Test.java and a test.xml files.
    You'll have to change the dtd location, I used the docbook xml
    v4.2 for the test.

-- arnaud :: http://vbstefi60.fapse.ulg.ac.be/~arnaud/