[directory-discuss] Instaboings?

From: David Seaward
Subject: [directory-discuss] Instaboings?
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 13:53:10 +0200

Hello all,

Is there an official list of known issues that would prevent an entry
from being accepted into the FSD? I'm thinking something similar to
F-Droid's antifeature list https://f-droid.org/wiki/page/Antifeatures
(except FD antifeature doesn't necessarily mean exclusion).

I'm aware that experienced moderators take care of this, but I'm
wanting to avoid wasting my time and theirs by submitting obvious
non-candidates. I'm more concerned about false positives than false
negatives: I'm sure any great software I overlook will get submitted
by someone else :)

As far as I'm aware basic requirements are:

* Must have a FSF-approved license
* Must run on GNU/Linux (may also run on Windows/Mac/Android)
- including Replicant? is inclusion in F-Droid a good sign of this?

And some basic instaboings are:

* Primary purpose is interaction with/migration to non-free system
(e.g. "An LGPL library for interacting with the Walled Garden social
network")
* Includes/recommends non-free software (e.g. "See our store to
download some non-free add-ons")
* "Community editions" with non-free licenses (typically restricting
you from replicating features in the non-free edition)

Queries I have are:

* "Community editions" with truly free licenses (e.g. PyCharm)
* Network applications with non-free editions (e.g. GitLab)
* Software libraries - is FSD focused on applications?
* And of course any inclusion/exclusion requirements I don't know about :)

Thanks!

David