Re: [directory-discuss] Instaboings?

From: Michał Masłowski
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] Instaboings?
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 19:58:39 +0200

> Is there an official list of known issues that would prevent an entry
> from being accepted into the FSD? I'm thinking something similar to
> F-Droid's antifeature list https://f-droid.org/wiki/page/Antifeatures
> (except FD antifeature doesn't necessarily mean exclusion).

There is an important difference in how these work: F-Droid distributes
the packages and modifies them, the Directory refers to existing source
archives and cannot solve some problems except by e.g. referring to
Debian packages instead of the upstream project.  I think some
differences in how packages are handled in FSF-endorsed distros and in
the Directory also result from this.

Several of these antifeatures imply recommending or including nonfree
software which is a reason for not including the package, or referring
to a liberated derived package.

> As far as I'm aware basic requirements are:
>
> * Must have a FSF-approved license

Any free license.  I think some licenses are not listed on the FSF list,
since they aren't popular enough or are too bad for recommending while
they are free.

> * Must run on GNU/Linux (may also run on Windows/Mac/Android)

* Must not include nonfree documentation.

> - including Replicant? is inclusion in F-Droid a good sign of this?

This is being discussed.  Can you run Replicant or its apps on a fully
free system?  Are there free emulators usable for this?  All currently
supported phones and tablets include a nonfree bootloader or modem
firmware.

> * Primary purpose is interaction with/migration to non-free system
> (e.g. "An LGPL library for interacting with the Walled Garden social
> network")

In distros software helping migrate FROM nonfree systems is ok, unless
it recommends these systems.  I don't know how it's handled here.

> * Includes/recommends non-free software (e.g. "See our store to
> download some non-free add-ons")

http://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Icedove is a package recommending nonfree
software, I don't know if it should be included.  (Parabola modifies
Icedove to use that page instead of the Mozilla addon list.)

> * "Community editions" with truly free licenses (e.g. PyCharm)

If the community edition is free, we change upstream URLs (to point to
e.g. Debian) to not recommend the nonfree editions.  Pdftk does this
(Debian also removes an antifeature).