Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Error when using UHD, GRC

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Error when using UHD, GRC
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 23:05:44 -0700

On 04/27/2011 02:34 PM, Mark Colin wrote:
> Hi,
>
>      OK, the uhd_find_devices --args="type=usrp1" is working, there's no
> device
> discovery error message, but when I tried to run the uhd_usrp_probe
> --args="type=usrp1" the uhd_usrp_probe broke down giving a nice error message:
>
> "uhd_usrp_probe.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are
> sorry
> for the inconvenience."

The last time I saw this, was when I learned that the libusb callbacks
needed to be defined w/ a different calling convention. If you got UHD
from this installer then I don't know the problem:
http://www.ettus.com/downloads/uhd_releases/003_000_001/UHD-003.000.001-win32-with-LIBUSB_CALL-fix.exe

> If I disconnect from the Internet (I have internet connection on PPPOE) then
> don't get any error when running uhd_find_devices.exe instead when I
> run uhd_usrp_probe.exe I get the mentioned error. I even tried to disable
> Local
> Area Network, and VirtualBox Network, but the error is there.

If I read your message right, then it seems that the interaction between
PPPOE and UHD may be the culprit. But it wasnt consistent between find
and probe? but I would expect them to behave identically.

> I tried many packet sniffer (TCP, UDP) programs but there's no data transfer
> (I
> couldn't find any packet sent by UHD) when running uhd_usrp_probe
> --args="type=usrp1" therefore it  might be some error in the test
> program uhd_usrp_probe before sending out any packet.

It may be the act of opening up a socket on that interface for broadcast.

> What could be the problem?

Windows is that nosey neighbor who always manages to get into your house
at those awkward moments; even though you know you locked the door.

-Josh