[Discuss-gnuradio] USRP-FIFO, question about double buffering

From: George Sklivanitis
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP-FIFO, question about double buffering
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 12:31:15 +0300

Hello all,

Lately, I am experimenting with an implementation of a point-to-point On-off Keying communication system. I mostly prefer to use the USRP as the receiver, in which I can capture samples and later process them through Matlab. However, because of the algorithms I try to apply at the receiver (packet/symbol synchronization, channel estimation, carrier-frequency offset cancellation, detection) I have to deal with a lot of delay at the receiver processing part. As a result, my transmitter keeps sending packets which will either get lost or stored at the fifo.

Therefore, I would like to know, if it is possible to construct a second buffer (softwarely in Matlab) in order not to lose so many data packets. Does anyone have an intuition about the way the fifo is used?

Sklivanitis Georgios
M.Sc. Student
Telecommunications Division,
Department of Electronics and Computer Engineering
Technical University of Crete,
Kounoupidiana Campus, Office 145.A10
Chania, Crete, 73100, Greece
Tel. : 28210 59257