Re: Flattened GNUstep structure?

From: David Relson
Subject: Re: Flattened GNUstep structure?
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 08:14:31 -0500

At 04:23 AM 1/11/01, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

Last time this issue was raised, it seemed to me that the thought was
that new developers would be/are bugged/intimidated by the hierarchy and
would like to be able to find the binaries that they just made at/near
the top level.
Personally, I've never understood that attitude, but as it was raised
quite vocally, I have to accept that it exists.

There are several learning curves involved here - Objective-C, GNUstep/Foundation classes, file hierarchy. Simplifying any of these lowers the barrier to new people using GNUstep and to new people who what to develop for it or experiment with it.

New suggestion, that might be sufficient for both groups
(probably not, but I can hope can't I?)...

Use the deep structure, but add top-level symbolic links to the most
recently built version of any software - that way, you would have a
shortcut to whatever you are working on ...
In the source directory, obj would be a symbolic link to the directory
containing the most recently compiled .o files, and there would be a
symbolic link to each executable built.

I like this idea. I just got to my office after dropping my son off at school. As I was driving, having a symlink to the new executable occurred to me. I didn't think of the obj symlink, but it seems like a good idea. When I started using GNUstep in addition to the question of "Where are the .o files?" was the question "Did the .o file get created?". The great length of the gcc commands when running make makes it difficult to tell whether the compilations are going properly or not. Having an easy way to check the results, i.e. the symlinks, is a good idea.

The downside of this of course is that it wouldn't work on windoze.

Pardon my ignorance of windoze, but can't shortcuts do the work?

David Relson                   Osage Software Systems, Inc.
relson@osagesoftware.com       Ann Arbor, MI 48103
www.osagesoftware.com          tel:  734.821.8800