Re: gnustep compared to other toolkits

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: gnustep compared to other toolkits
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 17:44:59 +0100

While I cannot speak for other developers, my take on this issue is as follows -

I'm not going to work on this, but I welcome contributions from those who wish to.

For contributed code to be distributed as part of the GNUstep distribution it must -
1. follow the GNUstep coding standards
2. not break things
3. not render code overly complex/unmaintainable.
4. have copyright assigned to the Free Software Foundation

The GNUstep libraries already provide a basic infrastructure for GUI customisation -

1. NSInterfaceStyle provides a framework for selecting the desired look and feel. 2. NSBundle allows you to keep big chunks of any code you need to use separate,
loaded only as required.
3. NSUserDefaults/system colors provide a little customisation already.

You can either use those facilities, and contribute code to support your desired theme, or you can look at providing a more sophisticated general purpose theme mechanism. The latter is obviously a better objective, but my feeling is that it's far more difficult
than it initially appears and would be a major project.