Re: GNUstep directory layout

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GNUstep directory layout
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 18:32:37 +0100

On Wednesday, September 11, 2002, at 06:17 PM, Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf wrote:

The last MAJOR change I'm debating is the Developer domain. It would be

nice to have all the developer stuff in one location. The drawback is
that we are separating things, like Libraries and Headers, which really

should be together.

If having a Developer domain means that there is yet another directory
where tools and apps can be installed - which means yet another directory
to add to the PATH and/or to the list of dirs to search for apps, then
that is another obvious drawback - PATH and similar variables are already
too long and big.

Do you think this is really still an issues on today's fast systems?

Yes... it's not so much a performance issue as one of
readability/simplicity/ease-of-use.  I'd like to decrease the amount of
stuff in environment variables where possible, not increase it.

The
pro for having a Developer domais is IMHO having it all sitting nice
together and you can get rid of all the stuff at once if you want so.

That's what package installation/uninstallation tools are for.
I think the debian package management tools are the best technically,
but it might be easier to implement a nice front end for rpm stuff
since the make package already builds rpms.