Re: GNUstep directory layout

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: GNUstep directory layout
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 19:47:38 +0200 (CEST)

> From: "David Ayers" <d.ayers@inode.at>
> Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 18:31:35 +0200
>
> >> The last MAJOR change I'm debating is the Developer domain. It would be
> >> nice to have all the developer stuff in one location. The drawback is
> >> that we are separating things, like Libraries and Headers, which really
> >> should be together.
> >
> >If having a Developer domain means that there is yet another directory
> >where tools and apps can be installed - which means yet another directory
> >to add to the PATH and/or to the list of dirs to search for apps, then
> >that is another obvious drawback - PATH and similar variables are already
> >too long and big.
> >
> I must admit that having a Developer domain seemed like a "nice to
> have" but it really doesn't fit in to the concept. The domains
> Network/System/Local/USER_ROOT all refer to entities who "vend" a
> domain (Nerwork Admin/Distro/Sys Admin/User). Developers refers to a
> certein user group that uses this domain (similar to
> bin/sbin-concept). What makes them so special for them to have thier
> own domain? Access rights to certain apps have to be handled in a
> consistent way for all kinds of user groups. Picking Developer seems
> rather arbitrary. And I don't think it's worth sacrificing
> execution/build time for it. If I want a "Developer" workstation, I
> can install the packeges in the Local Domain (unless I have a
> dedicated Developer-Distro which might have them in System). (Maybe
> we could compromise on inistalling ProjectCenter, Gorm, Palettes and
> the Makefiles in Local by default, if that isn't already the case.)
> (Hmm. but maybe I'm going to far.)

I agree.  The  "Developer" domain is there only  because the Developer
tools are packaged and sold  separately by NeXT Computer, Inc. and now
by  Apple  Computer,  Inc.  There  is  no  good  reason not  to  store
developer applications into the /System/Applications directory.

By the way, on my NeXTstation where I installed a lot of free software
from  peanuts, I've  added a  sublevel in  the LocalApps  directory to
classify  my numerous  applications, and  there could  very well  be a
/System/Applications/Developer   subdirectory   along   with   various
/System/Application/Communication,           /System/Applications/Text,
/System/Application/Graphic,  etc,   subdirectories,  and  similar  in
/Local, /Network and $HOME (or $HOME/GNUstep).

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__                   http://www.informatimago.com/
 The name is Baud,...... James Baud.