Re: GNUstep directory layout

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: GNUstep directory layout
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 09:46:02 +0100 (BST)

> I agree.  The  "Developer" domain is there only  because the Developer
> tools are packaged and sold  separately by NeXT Computer, Inc. and now
> by  Apple  Computer,  Inc.  There  is  no  good  reason not  to  store
> developer applications into the /System/Applications directory.
>

> By the way, on my NeXTstation where I installed a lot of free software
> from  peanuts, I've  added a  sublevel in  the LocalApps  directory to
> classify  my numerous  applications, and  there could  very well  be a
> /System/Applications/Developer   subdirectory   along   with   various
> /System/Application/Communication,           /System/Applications/Text,
> /System/Application/Graphic,  etc,   subdirectories,  and  similar  in
> /Local, /Network and $HOME (or $HOME/GNUstep).

Interesting ... I think it's quite a nice idea.

I modified openapp on GNUstep so that when it looks for applications
inside, say, $GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT/Applications, it also checks for the
application inside subdirectories (if there are any).

As a related issue, I also extended openapp to be able to manage the case
'openapp Gorm' (as opposed to 'openapp Gorm.app').  openapp will then
automatically search for Gorm.app or Gorm.debug or Gorm.profile.