Re: ANNOUNCE : HelpViewer 0.1

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE : HelpViewer 0.1
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 22:47:42 +0100

Am Mittwoch den, 22. Januar 2003, um 14:14, schrieb Richard Frith-Macdonald:

On Wednesday, January 22, 2003, at 10:57  am, Andreas Heppel wrote:
different levels of help. To me it looks like we all know what we want, but only name it differently. Let me resume a couple of points I think we all more or less agree on:

- There is something we call tooltips, which is a very short description of a control. This pops up automatically some time after the mouse cursor starts to hover over an UI element and goes away automatically, too.

This is clearly what NSHelpManager in MacOS-X is supposed to do ... with the exception that you actually have to hold the 'help' key and click on an item rather than just move the mouse over it. I don't think there is an equivalent in OpenStep/NeXTstep as the action of help-clicking an item was supposed to give you context sensitive help there (which is presumably why NSHelpManager documentation talks about context sensitive help when it really means tooltips).

no, that is not completely right (any more). There are tooltips in Mac OS X as everybody knows them (hovering the mouse above a widget). The help key thing seems to be a left over from older days when this was used to display a more detailed context sensitive help.

greetings, Lars