Re: GNUstep filesystem layout change

From: Tim Harrison
Subject: Re: GNUstep filesystem layout change
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 07:05:07 -0400

First off, I'm glad to see the layout has been changed. Thanks for taking the big step!

On Monday, Apr 28, 2003, at 20:18 Canada/Eastern, Yen-Ju Chen wrote:

Just install a clean GNUstep to see the difference. :)
I found there is a System/Developer and System/share, which are not in the document.
Gorm install the palettes into System/Developer/Palettes/,
but Gorm.app in System/Application/.

I think that the Developer structure should go away.

In all honesty, I think that the system shouldn't differentiate between standard users and developers. The same environment is used to run applications as develop them. Only applications have different functions.

Look at it this way: if a user wanted to install ONLY the stuff necessary to run apps, they'd install all of GNUstep. There isn't any "development" specific stuff, aside from things like ProjectCenter and Gorm. I suppose one could argue that -make is more for development, but you wouldn't be able to run a user environment without it.

As for Gorm's installation of Palettes, I think they should go into the System/Library/ApplicationSupport directory. Putting them into /System/Developer seems kind of silly. From what I've seen, Gorm's Palettes are the only things that go into the Developer structure. I suggest just removing that Developer structure, and using the ApplicationSupport directory (or Bundles, whatever -- that seems to be more of a personal preference argument), or even the User Domain (~/username/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport?).

Since most applications put their bundles in System/Bundles,
maybe System/Bundles can link to System/ApplicationSupport as System/Makefiles. So applications which install their bundles into System/Bundles/<AppName>
will actually install into System/ApplicationSupport/<AppName>
To me, they are the same with different names.

Well, I figured that ApplicationSupport would hold more than just bundles. I thought it would contain potential configuration files (not edited by the user directly), additional supporting files (how generic of me, I know), AND bundles. That way, everything needed to "support" an "application" would be in one place.

If Bundles was symlinked to ApplicationSupport, then Bundles would be a misnomer. If the intention is, indeed, to move bundles into the ApplicationSupport directory, than the Bundles directory should be deprecated.

Of course, I should also add that I haven't seen the new layout yet. :) I'm going by what I've been reading on the list, and anecdotal references on IRC. I'm also running low on sleep, so if any of this doesn't make sense, just point it out, and I'll clarify once I've had a nap. :)

Tim Harrison
tim@linuxstep.org
http://www.linuxstep.org/