Re: GNUstep on MS Windows

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: GNUstep on MS Windows
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 11:06:42 +0100

On 05.12.2003, at 09:35, Pascal J.Bourguignon wrote:
Helge Hess writes:
a) cross-CPU, like NeXTstep for i386, SPARC, HP and m68k
b) cross-OS, like X11 on Windows, Linux and MacOSX
c) cross-UI, like SWT using gtk+ on Linux and Win-UI on Windows

IMHO GNUstep/AppKit on Windows is pretty useless. OpenStep is the wrong
technology to do option c) above. It can do a) and b), but a) doesn't
solve the Windows issue and b) provides little value.
What  do you  mean exactly  by  "GNUstep/AppKit on  Windows is  pretty
useless"?

Well, I explained in the mail ;-) (BTW: I'm referring to "/AppKit", the / is not to be read as "and")

I thought that it was clear that an implementation of the OpenStep API
on MS-Window would open markets to GNUstep and MacOSX developers, this
would not be useless.

If the result works out, sure. I explained about that in my mail as well, please reread. Of course AppKit on Windows (whether from Apple or from GNUstep) somewhat expands the market. But to think that a Windows user would use GNUmail with a completely different look&feel on Windows instead of Mozilla or Outlook is just ridiculous.

The issues are a bit different for non-AppKit applications - like OGo or gstep-web servers. While this still has issues due to Windows doing things different (eg integration as a Windows service in the Windows management infrastructure), the enduser doesn't need to tweak with that.

Why do you think that "OpenStep is the wrong technology to do option c)"?

It seems  to me that it has  been designed and a  sufficient number of
implementation have been made to implement this cross-UI. OpenStep ran
on Solaris, and on MS-Windows-NT, and  now runs on MacOSX and on Linux
or other unix with GNUstep.

Wrong. Neither was cross-UI. And BTW all required to redo your nibs for each platform and each language, which obviously is maintainance nightmare and *not* what is meant by cross-platform UI.

Of course Renaissance could help a lot on this front, but this
a) still has tight dependencies to OpenStep, like pasteboards, which just don't work that way on Windows (BTW: neither on X11 ...)
b) still needs a lot of work to evolve into something as complete as XUL

I guess  that you're saying that  since GNUstep is  drawing itself its
widgets, it can't provide cross-UI.

Yes, that is the basic tenor.

But it seems  to me that the drawing code  is rather well encapsulated
(in a  few drawing methods of  a little number  of graphical classes),
and  that it should  be possible  to either  fork a  theme, or  to use
MS-Windows widgets to do the actual drawing.

If it is that easy - which I do not believe - then yes, do it that way.

Anyway, I also suggest to work on getting GNUstep/AppKit solid on X11 first before attempting to port to Windows.

regards,
  Helge
--
OpenGroupware.org       http://www.opengroupware.org/