Re: Frameworks integration

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: Frameworks integration
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 09:28:46 -0800

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 05:27:22 -1100
Nicolas Roard <nicolas@roard.com> wrote:
> Currently we have different interesting frameworks that aren't in
> gnustep cvs, yet I think that they should be in if we want a broader
> acceptance of them -- which will benefit directly GNUstep as a
> development platform, as this platform will then provide the
> programmer with a more complete environment.

Absolutely.

> I specifically think about XML framework (skyrix-xml) and ZeroConf
> (Tryst) -- even  if some others could be interesting to add in the
> future -- because they are obvious interesting additions (we miss an
> xml framework and zeroconf is a really interesting feature).
[...]
> The proposal is to put skyrix-xml and Tryst in the cvs (dev-libs), and
> possibly change their name to be more developer-friendly (ie a
> descriptive name followed by "kit" -- RendezvousKit or
> ServiceDiscoveryKit for Tryst for example).

As I said on IRC already, you cannot use "Rendezvous" or "ZeroConf". I
do not know whether any of these are TM'd, R'd or (c)'d, but ZeroConf
outlines a requirement which Apple's Rendezvous meets, Tryst does not
since it lacks the requirement of "IP Interface Configuration".

I could add it but it would be mucking on OS level, which I think is not
for GNUstep. Plus, you'd need a couple of different implementations,
each specific to the OS it's running on. Unless someone is willing to
help porting it to different OSs...

[...]
> SndKit and MusicKit would imho be interesting to add in the future
> (specifically SndKit -- after some work to modularize it more).
> Adding them in the cvs isn't perhaps needed, but at least we should
> point them as "official" solutions...
> What do you think ?

Absolutely. GNUstep *needs* _one_ Sound/Music related framework, else
each individual package will re-invent the wheel and use its own.

--
Chris