Re: non recursive makefiles

From: Matt Rice
Subject: Re: non recursive makefiles
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 10:29:57 -0800 (PST)

--- Marcus Müller <znek@mulle-kybernetik.com> wrote:

> On 11.01.2005, at 17:28, Matt Rice wrote:
>

> > --- Marcus Müller <znek@mulle-kybernetik.com>
> wrote:
> >

> >> IMHO precompiled headers support is much more
> >> important as the
> >> compilation speed-up is enormous (day to day
> >> experience on Mac OS X
> >> using Xcode).
> >
> > i have some patches somewhere for pch support for
> > gnustep-make iirc it didn't help much saved 2
> minutes
> > on a 45 minute compile i can dig these up if you'd
> > like
> > already sent them to Nicola a while back.
>
> Uh, well. I measured the same and _thought_ I've
> gotten something
> totally wrong. Might be that it's just not speeding
> up certain versions
> of gcc then? Or, the other way round, did you try it
> on OS X with
> Apple's gcc to exclude that possibility?
>
> Basically I'd think that supporting precompiled
> headers is really just
> a matter of adding a prefix header variable and
> precompile the header
> in that variable before starting the real build
> process. I might be off
> here, but I guess that's really all there is to do.
>
> Cheers,
>
>    Marcus

not sure if this still applies correctly anymore, but
here's what i had (tested with gcc -H to make sure it
was using the pch..)

that very well may be true about the certain versions
of gcc or maybe gnustep only includes what is
necessary in each file and it takes longer to read the
large pch file than to compile the necesary headers

just speculation I really don't know.