Re: strange NSException code

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: strange NSException code
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 13:14:04 +0100

On 2. Dez 2005, at 03:24 Uhr, Andrew Ruder wrote:
I think that in this day and age, the extra space due to debugging
symbols is fairly neglible,

It isn't neglible, its a major overhead:
---snip---
helge@move:/usr/local/lib$ ls -hla libNGObjWeb_d.so.4.5.216
-rwxr-xr-x  1 helge dev 5.9M Nov 29 21:22 libNGObjWeb_d.so.4.5.216
helge@move:/usr/local/lib$ strip libNGObjWeb_d.so.4.5.216
helge@move:/usr/local/lib$ ls -hla libNGObjWeb_d.so.4.5.216
-rwxr-xr-x  1 helge dev 2.2M Dec  2 13:09 libNGObjWeb_d.so.4.5.216
---snap--

Remember that this is not only on-disk, but also loaded into RAM (though only once for shared libraries like gstep-base).

and if I understand correctly, it does not
affect speed of the executable.

The speed of the code is not necessarily worse, but program loading will be slower and you run into swapping issues if you have less RAM than active apps. So it does affect the speed. Especially the first point (program loading) is something which can be a significant hit for a user (a lot was optimized in OSX to make apps launch fast).

Having said that, we always build OGo with debug=yes since the additional information available in deployments is much more important for us than 20MB of lost RAM (but then, server applications usually do not compete for host resources nor is startup time a problem).

P.S.  I'm only talking about debug symbols, and this is not the same
thing as making debug=yes default (where apps become .debug and
libraries get a _d) which would definitely -not- be a good thing.

I think Nicola wants to remove the _d/.debug naming in an upcoming gstep-make version.

Greets,
  Helge
--
http://docs.opengroupware.org/Members/helge/