Re: GNUSTEP_USER_CONFIG problem (Windows)

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GNUSTEP_USER_CONFIG problem (Windows)
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 13:50:24 +0000

On 5 Dec 2005, at 13:33, David Ayers wrote:

Richard Frith-Macdonald schrieb:

Ah ... I take it back ... I have remembered why it was there ... it was
intended as an aide to development/testing so you can have  multiple
setups running simultaneously using the same libraries/ resources, just
slecting between them by setting the environment  variable before
launching the app you are working with.
Perhaps documenting this well (and making the configuration with the
environment variable disabled be the default) would be sufficient
rather than removing the functionality entirely. I'm not sure whether
the feature is more trouble than it's worth?

Actually, I thought it was needed for deployment (esp. for MS- Windows).
 If an was build with C:/GNUstep/System but has to be installed in
D:/GNUstep/System.  But I'm just theorizing here.

Not necessarily ... you can configure so that the location of path are all relative to the config file, and you can configure so that the location of the config file is relative to the base library ... so as long as the executable can find the gnustep-base dll/so, everything will run.

For the make package (ie for developers) things are not so neat/ simple ... we have to assume the base library is not installed yet, and we don't want to have to run a tool linked to a base library binary to locate paths anyway ... which is why we have a standard location for the config file at a fixed point in the filesystem. Arguably we should make this the standard configuration for executables be relative to the base library for ease of deployment of non-developer systems, but on developer systems it makes sense to try and have the make and base packages be as consistent with each other as possible.