Re: back online again

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: back online again
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 12:16:49 +0000 (GMT)

> > Do you have concrete numbers which indicate "massively higher (ptr)
> > memory overhead and load times" ?
>
> Obviously not, that is why I wrote: _expect_ to be slower.

Yes ... I had the opportunity to play with an AMD 64bit machine about a
year ago, and a pure 64bit linux installation would be slower at running
Postgres, Apache, etc than a pure 32bit linux installation (benchmarked
using standard benchmark tools) ... by about 5% if I remember correctly.

(I also think I tried GNUstep make/base and they seemed to work, but
didn't benchmark them).

I ended up installing a pure 32bit environment.

I don't have an explanation though - my original thoughts were that the
compiler might be very good at producing Intel 32bit code (since that's
been it's main platform for ages) but might not have been so good at
producing 64bit code yet.

Thanks