Re: Objective-C 2.0 and other new features in Leopard

From: Aria Stewart
Subject: Re: Objective-C 2.0 and other new features in Leopard
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 16:01:07 -0700

On Sat, 2007-11-10 at 11:37 -0500, Stefan Bidigaray wrote:

> Psychologically, a slogan is a must.  There's a reason why every
> company has a marketing department.

I honestly can't think of GNOME, KDE, Debian, MacOS's or Microsoft's
slogans.

Oh. Well, I can remember Microsoft's. "Where do you want to go today?"

Why did I start using GNOME back in the 1.0 days? Gimp, and GTK's APIs
were good. Packaging was straightforward -- even apps with many
dependencies tended not to rely on unreleased versions, version
compatibility was good (no system rebuilds that often)

If there was a slogan, I missed it.

The marketed well: They hit developers who cared for ease of development
(compared to Motif, they won, too.), and who liked stability. The kind
of thing you can write business software in.

The killer app happened to be developed first, and the toolkit was
separated. That's a unique step. I don't think that can be replicated.

What /does/ happen is that Cocoa APIs are well-liked, and Apple touts
everything as developer-friendly. (They don't actually tout the
semantics of things at all -- an amusing point to note. No bickering
about the case of a product name, no espousing about how bundles are
better than ____. I suspect that if you can add "Isn't that cool?" to a
paragraph about something non-GUI, you're marketing it wrong ;-))