Re: Re[2]: Objective-C 2.0 and other new features in Leopard

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Objective-C 2.0 and other new features in Leopard
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 10:41:27 +0000

On 24 Nov 2007, at 01:04, Helge Hess wrote:

But really, you will never get an ObjC framework as easy to learn as a framework built on interpreted languages, be it Seaside, RoR or Zope. If you start with ObjC, you always need to deal with RC, with makefiles, with GCC, etc etc.

This is the focus of some of my current work, both with the GNU runtime and my own one; supporting other languages as first-class citizens on an Objective-C runtime. I have done some work on a Smalltalk JIT using GNU Lightning targetting the GNU runtime and others are working on Io and JavaScript ports to my runtime. In the next year, it should be possible to mix Objective-C, Io, Smalltalk (probably Self too) and JavaScript in the same application, so a fast Objective-C framework could be scripted in a slower, higher-level language.

David