Re: General question about GNUStep

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: General question about GNUStep
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 17:17:50 +0100

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 4:49 PM, David Chisnall<theraven@sucs.org> wrote:
> I'm not sure why this follows.  Just because you can't use DO doesn't mean
> you can't use GNUstep on the server.
>
> By the way, in theory it ought to be possible to port GNUstep's NSPortCoder
> to Cocoa and use this for serialising messages to be sent across sockets.
>  This would let Cocoa apps talk to GNUstep ones via DO.
>
> David

In my experience, the simplest (one-liner!) and robustest solution was
indeed to send plist-serialised data over the wire -- both platforms
(GNUstep and OSX) support fast serialization/deserialisation to plist,
and as an added benefit this is easier to debug as the data is sent in
clear, and in a notably more efficient way than XML do :)
you can find some infos on the architecture I used in
http://xdev.org/thesis/phd-thesis-nicolas-roard.pdf

Note that writing a plist reader in java or C++ is quite simple.
Another possibility is to use XML-RPC, which has implementation
everywhere. But this is quite verbose (even if it's far from the
abomination that SOAP is).