Re: Migrating GNUstep home folder to another computer

From: Patrick CARDONA
Subject: Re: Migrating GNUstep home folder to another computer
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2018 18:43:24 +0200

On 2018-07-23 21:34:28 +0200 Yavor Doganov <yavor@gnu.org> wrote:

> В Mon, 23 Jul 2018 20:53:16 +0200, Patrick CARDONA написа:
>
>> I tried to migrate from Ubuntu to a fresh Debian Stretch Install, which
>> seems to be more reactive on the same computer (old macmini).
>
> This is a "downgrade" in terms of package versions.
>
>> But I encounter some curious behaviours:
>> - In GNUMail, the Inbox window is blank : the list of messages is not
>> displayed (see screeshot).
>
> GNUMail in Debian stretch has some subtle bugs, the version in unstable is
> buggy too.  You can try removing the cache (should be in ~/GNUstep/
> Library/GNUMail) and see if the problem persists.  Please also run the app
> from a terminal; some messages may provide a clue.
>
>> - In GWorkspace, #-key (Meta or Alt) commands do not work : #-d will not
>> put the file in the Recycler Trash directory.
>
> I'm afraid I can't reproduce this.  What window manager do you use?

Hi Yavor,

Thanks for your attention.

I started from a clean GNUstep folder, and things went better, as expected :
- Alt/Meta Keys work again.
- GNUMail is now OK - only freeze when I use the scrollbar at the right of the
Inbox window.
After that, I could copy some Library folders to get back datas : for
SimpleAgenda, and so on... Theming and things seem to be as I should expect now.

As You told me about I could meet some downgrade behaviour due to older
versions, do You think I should add Backports repositories in my
/etc/apt/sources.list ?
Do You thing also Testing is stable enought with GNUstep software ?
I thought - and obviously I was wrong - that Debian was more up to date than
Ubuntu. Maybe the testing ?

I did a great mistake installing with EFI mode, not BIOS compatible mode, so I
got the well known bug of the dark screen at startup - it is erratic - and so I
need to do a cleaner install and it would be better to make good choices at the
beginning this time.
Also, I would like to deal with a lighter install process : no Gnome desktop
(no Desktop tasksel), just the basic X server, wmaker and GNUstep apps with a
few other (firefox, and so on...) which I did wrappers.
I am preparing the reinstall with a set of bash scripts to automate the process
: prepare, backup, reinstall and personnalize...
Maybe I should not backup the GNUstep directory ? Maybe, if I install on Debian
again, it is not a matter...

But I need first to understand how the things could work this way. For example,
when I use the dockapp wmudmount to mount my USB external drive, the disk icon
do not show up on the desktop. I need to refresh ("Tools/Hide desktop" then
"Tools/Show desktop") to see this icon on the desktop of the workspace. Maybe I
am missing something in my wmaker autostart, maybe it is the defaults with
Volume in SystemPreferences.app ? And so good tips would be great for me to
start a fresh install with better basis.

Bye !
Patrick