[Dolibarr-dev] Dolibarr translations: a proposal for a better system

From: Lorenzo Novaro
Subject: [Dolibarr-dev] Dolibarr translations: a proposal for a better system
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 14:13:15 +0200

Hi all,
as 3.4 release approaches, I think that a better translation management system
would greatly benefit the project.
I use transifex to manage translations and set up a Dolibarr project on it.
https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/dolibarr/
(It is free for open source projects, like github)
It now only contains english (source language) and italian (my translations
pulled from github).
Transifex is a great way to deal with translation files because it provides
tools both for developers and translators. Every language in the project has
one or more coordinators, translators and revisors. It is very easy to join
translations and use it. A major plus is that it can automatically warn
translators of source files updated by developers, to easily keep track of
updates.
Updating source files and translations is very simple and can be done via the
web interface, but also using a command line tool to pull them directly from a
local repository or git.
Have a look at http://help.transifex.com/features/client/

I find it very useful and I'm using it for the italian translation currently,
if you want to use it also for other languages or even make it a part of the
development process (like github) I can help other translators get started
with it and also write some instructions to be put on the wiki.

Translating Dolibarr is not really easy for non-tech-savvy translators as of
now. Using transifex I think we could attract many more translators and keep
all languages updated.

If others are interested I can add other people as project maintainers or
language coordinators on https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/dolibarr/
starting today.
--
Diciannove Soc. Coop.