Re: Customize and autoloaded libraries

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Customize and autoloaded libraries
Date: 03 Dec 2001 22:43:03 +0900

Per Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:
> 1. Keep user options and variables set by Lisp packages separate.
>
> 2. Invent a `defhook' declaration for hooks, which is like defcustom
>    but allows merging the same way as add-hook.  I wanted to do that
>    originally, but couldn't come up with a good design.
>
> 3. Write a general merge algorithm for all options.  This also solves
>    the problem of options with large or fragile (over versions)
>    initial values, like "load-path".
>
> They are listed in order of increasing complexity, which is why I
> prefer #1.  I find the customize code more than complex enough as it
> is.

What if custom just supported a `:merge-function' (or something)
argument in `defcustom', which would let the declaring file deal with
merging when desired?  I suspect that most such merging is somewhat
domain-specific anyway.

It certainly would be handy for some cases (e.g., `default-frame-alist')...

-Miles
--
Is it true that nothing can be known?  If so how do we know this?  -Woody Allen