[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: It is time for a feature freeze (it is NOW or never).

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: It is time for a feature freeze (it is NOW or never).
Date: 11 Apr 2004 13:04:41 +0200
User-agent: Gnus/5.09 (Gnus v5.9.0) Emacs/21.3.50

Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:

> In article <address@hidden>, address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
> >>  I did a test merge of multi-tty with tiling, and there are
> >>  actually very few patch conflicts, though the RIF changes
> >>  probably do mean there are few semantic errors in the result.
> >>  
> >>  I'd love see the multi-tty changes go in -- not just because
> >>  it's a great feature (and it is), but because I like the code
> >>  cleanup.  Compared to the current "everything global all the
> >>  time" code, it should make things a bit easier to understand,
> >>  which is no small thing given the confusingness of the redisplay
> >>  code.
> > Yes, I also look forward to the RIF cleanup from the multi-tty
> > patch.  I had plans to do this cleanup myself sometime, but Romain
> > beat me to it.
> > It should definitely go in soon after 21.5 is branched from trunk.
> I don't object to it, but if it changes some internal interfaces,
> I'd like to ask to merge it after emacs-unicode merge is done.  At
> least emacs-unicode doesn't change RIF.

In my opinion, we should first merge the unicode branch into the
trunk.  Once unicode is merged, multi-tty can merge the current
trunk.  Once this is done, one can judge the respective stabilities.

If it turns out that the unicode branch merge left us with a rather
stable system on the trunk, we should aim for releasing 22.1 as fast
as possible.  This means that multi-tty should only be merged if its
HEAD (after merge in of the trunk's HEAD) seems similarly stable.

Since we can't just right now judge how the stability is affected
with the combined branches, I would postpone the decision of when to
merge multi-tty until we have the actual merge candidates.

When in doubt, there is no harm in releasing 22.0, noticing
afterwards that the multi-head branch leaves us with a quite stable
Emacs, too, and release 22.1 soon after that.

David Kastrup, Kriemhildstr. 15, 44793 Bochum

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]