Re: making iswitchb the default

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: making iswitchb the default
Date: 15 Apr 2004 00:06:51 +0200

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

> I cannot think of a reason why C-x b should not default to iswitchb in
> 21.4.  What do people think of that change?

Not much.  It makes it impossible to get at buffers starting with a
space, and it is close to impossible to persuade it you want to have a
buffer *cvs* when it would rather offer *cvs*<2> before that.  Type
*cvs* RET and it will still give you *cvs*<2>.  In particular when
there is also *cvs*<3>, it will give you alternatively *cvs*<2> and
*cvs*<3>, but not *cvs*.

And there are other ways in which it gets in the way without
providing really more functionality than C-x b.

I'd rather vote for file-name-shadow-mode to be enabled by default: it
is inobtrusive, intuitive and particularly helpful to beginners.