Re: making iswitchb the default

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: making iswitchb the default
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 18:06:29 +0200

On 18 Apr 2004 16:22:01 +0200, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> I didn't
> know it also offers a replacement for "C-x b".  Sorry.

I think I didn't explain myself clearly.

bs does not include something exactly like switch-buffer, in the sense
of showing a list of buffers in the minibuffer and leting you choose
among them.

It does, however, include two functions, bs-cycle-next and
bs-cycle-previous, which allow to rotate among buffers and shows in the
minibuffer the next buffers in the buffer list (so you know how far you
are of the buffer you're looking for).

The main use of bs, though, is displaying a list of buffers in a small,
transitory window. In a way is like list-buffers, but is not that
different of what iswitchb-buffer or ido-switch-buffer do. Order of
buffers aside, you'd switch to the third buffer in the list like that:

C-x b C-s C-s RET       ; iswitchb-buffer
C-x b left left RET     ; ido-switch-buffer
C-x C-b down down RET   ; bs-show

so it's all a matter of whether you prefer to see the buffers as a list
in the minibuffer, or in a window. I prefer the later, and I suppose
some newbies would find it easier too (which is, I think, what you were
proposing, after all: a menu of buffer names, selectable with arrows or
mouse click).

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u