Re: making iswitchb the default

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: making iswitchb the default
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 14:14:36 +0100

Stephen Eglen wrote:

These are good reasons why iswitchb should not be default behaviour to
replace C-x b.  However I hope you have not found bugs in iswitchb.
To quote the top of the Commentary:

;; As you type in a substring, the list of buffers currently matching
;; the substring is displayed as you type.  The list is ordered so
;; that the most recent buffers visited come at the start of the list.
;; The buffer at the start of the list will be the one visited when
;; you press return.  By typing more of the substring, the list is

So, first off, the completions buffer is just showing you buffer names
matching the current substring you have typed.

First off I do not see a Completions buffer, only after I type TAB. I get the same result on 2 computers running Windows 2000 and Windows XP with current CVS. I also get the same result in 21.3 on the computer I have in front of me now (with -q --no-site-file). Perhaps it is a bug that is specific to Windows, or the setting of completion-ignore-case.

Second, if you type
the full name of a buffer and hit return, usually (but not always, as
the *cvs*, *cvs<2>* example demonstrates) you should get the desired
buffer.  Certainly it should not be a random buffer!  If you still
find that, let me know as this is definitely a bug.

I always seem to get the most recently selected buffer (ie, the one I would get with "C-x b RET" with default settings), regardless of what I type.